We’ve made it past the mid-way point of 2020. It feels strange to be this far into the year with so much uncertainty still. We’re taking it day by day, trying to focus on what is in our control rather than what we can’t control (which seems like a lot). I kept some of my nursery and other baby-related goals secret or vague for the past few months, but now that I’ve shared our news, I’m excited to start adding these to my goals lists, starting with July goals. These have been a fun and needed distraction for me, and hopefully they can be fun progress updates for you too.
– Purchase and start reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
– Listen to the full 1619 podcast (there are only 6 episodes) – this was very interesting and well done
– Listen to Pod Save the People
– Listen to episodes from RadioLab and More Perfect about Supreme Court cases that have changed or impacted our justice system, police actions, and racism in America. I started listening to More Perfect a few years ago and and find the episodes to be so interesting and well done.
– Watch Just Mercy (it is free during the month of June) and 13th – These were both very good dives into the racism in our country’s judicial system, jails, and prisons.
– Sign petitions (I have been doing this on a case by case basis) and contact my local councilman about allocating more of the Metro Nashville budget to public schools, public park upkeep in low-income areas, and social programs, rather than to the police department.
– Post additional 60 before 30 list updates progress since last year – I didn’t post because I didn’t want to give away this secret before it had its own post, but I have it ready to go this month!
– Decide on new pillows for the second bedroom. The current ones worked well in our last place, but the light is different in this room and they feel icy and cold. Since I spend so much time in there now while I’m working from home, it has given me the push to find replacements to warm up the room and make it feel more welcoming. – Made some progress on this but the fabric swatches I ordered won’t come for another few weeks, so no decisions yet
– Try a new recipe – made some new recipes from Love and Lemons Everyday, Love Real Food, and Eat What You Want
– Celebrate our anniversary and one year in Nashville! – We celebrated with takeout from a local restaurant, which felt like such a treat
– Post additional 60 before 30 list updates progress since last year
– Finish reading On Becoming Baby Wise
– Continue reading Americanah and order another book on anti-racism education (So You Want to Talk About Race, White Fragility, and How to be an Anti-Racist are all on my list)
– Frame pictures for nursery
– Request absentee ballots for August local elections
– Start making a list of freezer meals to make before baby comes
– Decide on plans for a drive-by or virtual baby shower